Monday, March 12, 2012

Doing the Dishes

Hello everyone,
At times I find myself feeling a bit overwhelmed, okay more than a bit at times…
The intensity of today brought a lot of emotions, projections and anxiety. As always everything turned out better than the motion picture being played in my head.
Upon my return home from visiting with my mom and siblings I still felt a little tense.
Walking into the kitchen I saw a small pile of dishes in the sink. Seeing this I felt as everyone initially feel. “Oh damn, DISHES!”
This is an interesting situation. I initially dislike doing the dishes, but the second I begin I find my mind and body relaxing. I take doing dishes as a methodical process, spiritual and methodical at the same time actually.
I put away any dishes, silverware, cups and such then turn on the water to a comfortably warm temperature. I wet the sponge and add Dawn. Then the cleaning begins. What I find in this process is that I completely go into a zone. My entire focus becomes the dishes and my cleaning them.
For that time, 15 minutes, half an hour and longer I lose what was happening during the day and afterward find that I have a new focus on my day and my breathing becomes steady and calm.
I know that when moments become intense and overwhelming I bring myself into a calming place during the event and an able to focus and become effective in the moment. But those moments that are merely annoying, well I find that I carry them sometimes throughout the day. As long as I do the dishes all becomes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment